Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Value and Placement on a Budget


When you Homeschool you find out that budgets are a requirement. That means you can save for the thing you want, figure out how to do without, or make something. Harley man says God made me crafty for a reason, so we end up making several things we used in our school room. I have been eyeing a placement chart in several catalogs. They range from $11.00 up to $16.00. For months now I have been trying to come up with a way to make one on my own. Finally while digging thru boxes we had to bring out of storage, I found a pair of bib overalls. Perfect! I cut off the bottoms, unhooked the straps, and got out the sewing machine.

It was so simple. I made three pockets on the bottom to represent the Hundreds, Tens, and Ones placement values. I had white puff fabric paint on hand, so that is what I used to write the words on the pockets.

The part of this project I received the most funny looks from was the counter sticks. My mom had tons of leftover coffee stir sticks at her office. I told her I needed about 300. (insert laughing here) What in the world, would I need 300 stir sticks for? The kids are still wondering the same thing.  I want to keep track of every day so that the kids start to understand the concept of time on the calendar and in the year also.

I printed the chart from 1+1+1=1 website.1plus1plus1equals1.com I of course laminated it so that we repeatedly mark on it with dry erase markers. The twins have theirs hole punched and kept in their Calendar Binders. It’s good practice to write the day, dates, and number placement each day.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...