Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wakey, Wakey, Eggs and Bakey!


Cartoons just aren’t the same any more. It’s really hard to find something for kids to watch that isn’t full of violence, bullies, bad manners, or just stupid. We have several VHS and DVD’s that have been accepted in to our home library for watching. Most mornings we have allowed the twins to select one that is around 30 minutes long to watch before breakfast. However, that all changed last Thursday.
            Bad attitudes, misbehaving, not completing chores, and whining led to some big changes in our morning routine. After much research and lots of prayer about what to do and how to change, I have picked something simple that may be changed from day to day.
             We start our mornings around 5 o’clock. I know this sounds early but Harley man leaves for work at 6 o’clock and the kids like to have some time to with him. I am not the morning person I used to be so this new routine is for me just as much as it is for the kids. I have both of the kids go to the bathroom right away and I usually have only a few lights turned on. The less intense wake up seems to be a better choice.
            We have a huge built-in island in our kitchen that I have my morning things laid out. I also use this to make breakfast. We love to color, look at books, and puzzles in our house. On Wednesday nights before church I use the printer at the hay office to print off color sheets. These sheets are pictures of movie characters or go along with stories we have read. I have set these aside for just mornings. That way the kids don’t get bored with them by coloring them at other times during the day.
            I change up the pile of things every other day. Depending on the time you have in the mornings at when you start your morning the options are endless. I would recommend things that don’t need your help. Stick with simple.
            During the time that they are busy working, I lay out breakfast. We choose the meal the night before. Breakfast isn’t as structured as the other meals during the day. There are times when I have to plan ahead for some meals, and we have cut back on having cereal down to twice a week.  
            Here is a link for the color sheets. www.coloring-book.info most of the color sheets are movie characters. The kids love to chose their favorites. 
All of our file folder games and pocket games come from www.filefolderfun.com They even have a sister link if you want some bible based games. 



click photo to enlarge
 The night activities haven't been chosen yet. This is a work-in-progress. We have a jar with ideas on scraps of paper. We chose them from time to time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...